GhostBSD 18.10 is our first official release of GhostBSD with TrueOS under the hood, and the official desktop is MATE. However, in the future, there might be some community release, but for now, there is no community released yet.
What has changed since 11.1
- GhostBSD is now built from TrueOS instead of FreeBSD
- OpenRC is GhostBSD main init system
- LibreSSL is the default SSL
- GhostBSD base system can now be upgraded to the next release via TrueOS packages base
- We removed grub from the iso in favor of the new FreeBSD hybrid loader.
- NetworkMgr now supports the option to manage multiple network card connection.
- Unionfs was removed from the live session.
- The live system has been rewritten to fix many issues
- GhostBSD boots directly to mate session
- GhostBSD supports ZFS BE by default
- FreeBSD ports and packages are incompatible with GhostBSD 18.10
- GhostBSD uses TrueOS ports to build packages.
- drm-next-kmod was added for newer AMD and Intel support
- ibva-intel-driver and libva-vdpau-driver was added to supports accelerated video driver for some Intel card
- nvidia-driver-390.87 was added by default to support latest Nvidia card.
- xconfig was created to add generated default xorg.conf.
Issues that got fixed
- VirtualBox's Firefox scroll up issues
- Slim login failing on the live CD
- Bug #70 Cannot run Octopi, missing libgksu error.
- Bug #71 LibreOffice doesn't start because of missing libcurl.so.4
- Bug #72 libarchive is a missing dependency
All thanks to iXsystems, TrueOS, Joe Maloney, Kris Moore, Ken Moore, Martin Wilke, Neville Goddard, Vester “Vic” Thacker, Douglas Joachim, Alex Lyakhov, Yetkin Degirmenci, Damian Szidiropulosz and many more, who contributed one way or another for the making of this release.
Where to download:
All images checksum, hybrid ISO(DVD, USB) and torrent are available here:
For writing an iso to a USB stick:
dd if=GhostBSD18.10.iso of=/dev/da0 bs=4m
dd if=GhostBSD18.10.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M
dd if=GhostBSD18.10.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=10240
To upgrade from RC:
sudo pkg update -f
sudo pkg upgrade
Is there anything you can help with or get involved? Maybe you want to discuss your experiences or ask us some questions. If so, please contact us on Telegram https://t.me/ghostbsd, IRC Freenode #ghostbsd or GhostBSD Forums.