NTFS drives automount read and write.

Support for other hardware categories not listed below.

NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby mandog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Using mate desktop how do I get my ntfs drives to mount read/write, at present they mount on start up In Caja and in Nautilus file managers, file permissions inform me they are read/write for user but this is incorrect, trash and delete do not work either. The only information I seem to get with Google is for FreeBSD 6 so I don't think it will apply.
Please don't complain this took over 1 hour to write.
I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.
I'm a Englishman living in Peru
English is my only language
User avatar
mandog
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:58 pm

NTFS drives automount read and write.

 

Re: NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby adripillo12 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:31 pm

mandog wrote:Using mate desktop how do I get my ntfs drives to mount read/write, at present they mount on start up In Caja and in Nautilus file managers, file permissions inform me they are read/write for user but this is incorrect, trash and delete do not work either. The only information I seem to get with Google is for FreeBSD 6 so I don't think it will apply.
Please don't complain this took over 1 hour to write.



Well done writing, you did a nice job.

about mounting NTFS for read and write try to read about NTFS-3g
adripillo12
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 am

Re: NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby adripillo12 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:35 pm

adripillo12 wrote:
mandog wrote:Using mate desktop how do I get my ntfs drives to mount read/write, at present they mount on start up In Caja and in Nautilus file managers, file permissions inform me they are read/write for user but this is incorrect, trash and delete do not work either. The only information I seem to get with Google is for FreeBSD 6 so I don't think it will apply.
Please don't complain this took over 1 hour to write.



Well done writing, you did a nice job.

about mounting NTFS for read and write try to read about NTFS-3g


Here, more easy for you, I let you a link.

http://virtuallyhyper.com/2012/10/mount ... freebsd-9/
adripillo12
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 am

Re: NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby mandog » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:48 am

Thank you for the link I had already tried that and it did not work, I have got NTFS-3g installed and enabled in /etc/rc.conf it makes no difference permissions still say user read/right. I think its a permission problem possibly Mate policy-kit, I am not sure as this is not Linux.
I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.
I'm a Englishman living in Peru
English is my only language
User avatar
mandog
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby adripillo12 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:44 pm

mandog wrote:Thank you for the link I had already tried that and it did not work, I have got NTFS-3g installed and enabled in /etc/rc.conf it makes no difference permissions still say user read/right. I think its a permission problem possibly Mate policy-kit, I am not sure as this is not Linux.


You welcome. You can try to Umount the Disk and then do:

Code: Select all
# ntfs-3g /dev/ad4s1 /mnt/ntfs


Please, take note that ada4s1 must be changed by your Disk slice. That should work really.
Also you can try

Code: Select all
mount -t ntfs -o -u=(youruser),-g=(yourgroup) /dev/(ur disk) /mnt/ntfs
adripillo12
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 am

Re: NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby ericbsd » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Mandog it can be policy-Kit.
ericbsd
Site Admin
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby mandog » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Yes I think it could be policy-Kit, I do not have a clue how it works in GhostBSD.
I normally use arch-Linux and the wiki is second to none, using BSD is a different ball game, I can not understand a lot of it at this moment in time.
I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.
I'm a Englishman living in Peru
English is my only language
User avatar
mandog
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby ericbsd » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:57 am

Policy-kit work that same way on BSD and Linux.
ericbsd
Site Admin
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby mandog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:48 am

I have made some headway at last I disabled gvfs, then I was able to manually mount my windows drives ntfs-3g read/write but lost the trash can.
I then re enabled gvfs, looked at /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor disabled this file 20-storage-methods.fdi, just changed the name.
now the drives don't auto mount through hal, now I can manually mount the ntfs drives, read/write create delete files folders
Next to try to enter them in fstab, so they are auto-mounted at start up.
I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about punctuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.
I'm a Englishman living in Peru
English is my only language
User avatar
mandog
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: NTFS drives automount read and write.

Postby adripillo12 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:56 pm

mandog wrote:I have made some headway at last I disabled gvfs, then I was able to manually mount my windows drives ntfs-3g read/write but lost the trash can.
I then re enabled gvfs, looked at /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor disabled this file 20-storage-methods.fdi, just changed the name.
now the drives don't auto mount through hal, now I can manually mount the ntfs drives, read/write create delete files folders
Next to try to enter them in fstab, so they are auto-mounted at start up.


to auto-mount at start up you need to add to /etc/fstab the next:

Code: Select all
/dev/(your disk) /mnt/(your folder) ntfs-3g rw,late 0 0
adripillo12
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 am

Next

Return to General Hardware Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest