How to Install from Live iso

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD

Moderator: Developer

Re: How to Install from Live iso

Postby mtnblue97 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:09 am

FYI, I installed GhostBSD 4.0 via the live session. It failed the first time re some kind of mount problem. So I redid it but launching the installer via sudo gbi, and it installed successfully!! << kudos to you re this trick.

It must be noted that I experience the exact same problem with FreeBSD 10.1

PC-BSD 10.1 is OK.

It may be a timing issue: I noted when the GhostBSD 4.0 Live was booting up, that I saw an x server failure just before the MATE desktop launched. The xorg logs did not contain any failure though.
mtnblue97

Postby mtnblue97 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:56 am

More data.

While booting up GhostBSD 4.0, I noticed that when the boot was done it goes to a login prompt. Very shortly after that the system auto logs in and the desktop starts up.

For GhostBSD 10.1 it gets to this same login prompt, but then just sits there. I thought I had to log in manually and then start up X, and the desktop, but maybe what is going on is, the auto login is just not happening. Still a problem, but a different one than we were thinking.
mtnblue97

Postby ASX » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:03 pm

mtnblue97 wrote:FYI, I installed GhostBSD 4.0 via the live session. It failed the first time re some kind of mount problem. So I redid it but launching the installer via sudo gbi, and it installed successfully!! << kudos to you re this trick.

It must be noted that I experience the exact same problem with FreeBSD 10.1

PC-BSD 10.1 is OK.

It may be a timing issue: I noted when the GhostBSD 4.0 Live was booting up, that I saw an x server failure just before the MATE desktop launched. The xorg logs did not contain any failure though.

PC-BSD and GhostBSD-10.1-Beta2 (Live sessions only) are both using the "vt/newcons" system console, as opposed to "syscons" which is the default
for FreeBSD-10.1 and it is also the default one after installing GhostBSD. That's why I suggested to test the switch to "vt" console in my previous post, I would like to know if you tried it, because the current results seems to suggest that "vt" console might work, while "syscons" doesn't.
ASX
Developer

Postby mtnblue97 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Yes, I did try that.
But, I tried it again, and when the login prompt appeared after the reboot, and I waited, the terminal screen went completely blank, with a small grey 'cursor' like mark at the top left corner.
Nothing happens.
Hitting the enter key does nothing.

That's the story so far.

Btw, thanks for going thru my logs!
mtnblue97

Postby ASX » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:37 am

please try this too, add in /boot/loader.conf:
Code: Select all
machdep.disable_mtrrs=1

and reboot
ASX
Developer

Postby mtnblue97 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:59 am

Here is what I did:
Created a new VM; clean install of GhostBSD 10.1 Live.
sudo gbi to install
got to log in prompt; it went no further: verifying the failure mode
Added the following to loader.conf:

hw.vga.textmode=1
kern.vty=vt
machdep.disable_mtrrs=1

reboot

It got to the login prompt, waited a couple of seconds, then went to a black screen with a little gray square at the top left corner.
This is similar to the last try.
The thing to note is that this is how it behaves when it works (PC-BSD), but the black screen quickly becomes the desktop.
I tried after another reboot to login at the prompt, and it did accept my userid and went to the pw line, but the black screen took over before I could log in.

As an aside, I did an install of PC-BSD and chose TrueOS (FreeBSD) instead of PC-BSD and I got it to install and run. My first look at FreeBSD.
mtnblue97

Previous

Return to Installing GhostBSD