Network Browsing

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.

Network Browsing

Postby fmh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:37 pm

What's the best way to browse the network you are on in GhostBSD? I finally have GhostBSD4 RC1 up and running on a machine dedicated to GhostBSD. I installed most of the programs that I will be using on a regular basis on the machine. Now I want to be able to access data from other Windows and OSX computers on my network.

I launched Caja and clicked on the Browse Network icon and I get 'Unable to Mount location'.

I am trying 'mount_smbfs' command but haven't been successful yet in getting the proper string entered.

Is there a Network Browser for FreeBSD that I can install and use? I didn't look into SAMBA as I figured this shouldn't be that big of a deal to browse my local network.
fmh

Network Browsing

Re: Network Browsing

Postby ericbsd » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:40 pm

I use sftp and ssh for all my computers but I only run on BSD, MacOSX and sometime Ubuntu, I don't use windows, but it is possible using Samba. I have Google drive where I put my important work, in which I use Grive on GhostBSD/FreeBSD. In the future we might have a Samba system to do all those thing easily.
ericbsd
Site Admin

Postby fmh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:31 pm

I kind of figured FTP. I can turn on FTP with a G4 Mac I have here. For right now the files I need I transferred over via a USB stick.
fmh

Postby robertalexander » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:45 am

It depends on the safety you have enabled, typically there is some encryption between you and the router, but if the network is open they may be talented to knock into your site and thus go inside your computer.
robertalexander

Return to General support