GhostBSD is a user-friendly BSD operating system built on top of FreeBSD. FreeBSD is known to be a solid, powerful, secure and stable server operating system, providing an excellent base for a desktop operating system.
FreeBSD seems to be aimed at more experienced or technically inclined users. As such, newcomers to the BSD platform can be confused, especially for those who lack the technical expertise required.
GhostBSD aims to provide a familiar workstation with all of the features and benefits of FreeBSD, combined with a twist that is the MATE desktop environment and a focus on user-friendliness. Available in both 32- and 64-bit versions, GhostBSD is suitable for newcomers, as well as experienced BSD users.
GhostBSD shares many of the same features as FreeBSD, including:
- Integrated Firewalls, Jails, Linux emulation, Network Virtualization, and bhyve.
- KMS and new drm2 video drivers
- The FreeBSD ports collection
- The New Binary Packaging System pkgng
GhostBSD added a few extra features of its own, including:
- A user-friendly installation process
- Automatic detection of your computer’s hardware
- Automatic configuration of your network card
- Pre-installed desktop environments
- Pre-installed codecs to play multimedia files
The project has the following objectives:
- Be freely available for anyone to use
- Freedom to customize the system and to modify the code
- Respect privacy
- Provide a consistent and intuitive work environment
- Provide a secure and stable system
GhostBSD is licensed under the terms of the Revised BSD License.
GhostBSD contains software licensed under the GPL license.
The content available on ghostbsd.org and wiki,ghostbsd.org is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0)
About the Team
The team of GhostBSD is composed of BSD and GNU/Linux users and had some contributors around the world.
- Eric Turgeon: Leader, toolkit, website, Release Engineer, MATE desktop
- Ovidiu Angelescu: special Ports, tool-kit, Release Engineer, Gnome desktop
- Andrea Scopece: Release Engineer, Testing, Debuging.
Community and Support
- Adrián J. PanunzioForum: Moderator and Admin, Website Admin
- Keith McKenzie: Forum Moderator
Join the team.
If you want to take an active hand in making GhostBSD even better, contact us?