This has been a long time since I have officially released an ISO. With all the difficulties and issues I encounter with the new Xorg version and old Nvidia drivers, this new ISO is overdue. 23.06.01 contains many bug fixes, security fixes, and feature improvements. For details, see the changelog below.
GhostBSD 23.06.01 Changelog
This release contains a new tool called Backup Station to manage ZFS boot environment. Now the default time is set to local instead of UTC, which fixes an issue with LightDM time. Software Station search got improved to be less laggy. See below for a complete list of fixes and improvements.
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#32 [Epic] Add a BE manager UI to create BE and activate BE
New Feature and Improvement
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#202 Video thumbnails support
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#207 nnn CLI file manager: compile with O_NERD=1 flag
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#223 [Feature]: Add noto-emoji font or noto fonts in general
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#255 Cannot attach USB memory card reader Norelsys NS1081
- ghostbsd/backup-station#9 Refactor backup-station to make it more maintainable.
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#267 [Feature] Update to yt-dlp
- ghostbsd/update-station#35 Update update-station.po
- ghostbsd/gbi#67 Remove comments about telegram and forums.
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-build#178 Set GhostBSD to local time instead of UTC
- ghostbsd/xconfig#18 Ensure not to try to install NVIDIA drivers from missing xdrivers
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#174 [Bug]: Software Station - Search blocks entry after two letters
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#205 Cannot boot or install GhostBSD-22.06.20 on a Lenovo Ideapad 330-17AST
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#225 Memdisk size for the livecd zfs pool is hardcoded to 3GB
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#229 [BUG] Black screen during installation (Nvidia)
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#231 GhostBSD doesn´t boot X. Nvidia GeForce 210
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#234 [BUG] Error ports installation
- ghostbsd/software-station#30 Adding changes to improve search for packages to be less laggy
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#240 [Bug]: Software Station freezes after canceling package installation
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#269 [BUG] nextcloudclient missing and uninstalled
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#276 GhostBSD Installer wifimgr doesn't set up AX200
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#278 [BUG] Unable to successfully build inxi
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#280 [BUG] Update of xorg-server to 21.1.7 causes NVIDIA GeForce 405 failure
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#281 [Bug]: Lightdm not showing custom wallpaper on login
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#283 [BUG] OBS-studio has disappeared from the repository
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#284 GhostBSD repository certificate expired 4/18/23 11:16AM[BUG]
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#288 [BUG] Cannot load nvidia-modeset for the driver below 358.009
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-build#179 Add egl-wayland for installing the latest Nvidia drivers on the livecd session.
- ghostbsd/xconfig#19 Fixing syntax and improving syntax.
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#206 [Security] curl-7.83.1 is vulnerable
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#221 Using [spacebar] as login password gives "invalid password" when you try to log in
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#222 [Security] git-2.37.0 is vulnerable:
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#227 [Security] python39-3.9.13 is vulnerable
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#232 [Security] expat-2.4.8 is vulnerable:
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#233 [Security] samba412-4.12.15_4 is vulnerable:
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#236 [Security] git-2.38.0 is vulnerable:
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#237 [Security] python39-3.9.14 is vulnerable:
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#243 [Security] pixman-0.40.0_1 is vulnerable
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#244 [Security] sudo-1.9.11p3 is vulnerable
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#247 The PR contains patches for heimdal and ping vulnerability.
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#248 [Security] python39-3.9.15 is vulnerable:
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#250 [Security] curl-7.85.0 is vulnerable:
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#262 [Security] gnutls-3.7.8_1 is vulnerable
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#263 [Security] xorg-server-21.1.4_1,1 is vulnerable
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#252 [Security] emacs-28.2_1,3 is vulnerable:
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#266 [Security] libde265-1.0.9 is vulnerable
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#265 [Security] git-2.39.1 is vulnerable
Where to download:
All images, checksums, hybrid ISO(DVD, USB), and torrents are available here:
Note: When installing on VirtualBox, change the Graphics Controller to VBoxSVGA.
Writing the iso to a USB stick
dd if=GhostBSD-23.06.01.iso of=/dev/da0 bs=4m
dd if=GhostBSD-23.06.01.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M
dd if=GhostBSD-23.06.01.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=10240
On Windows, using http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
./dd.exe if=GhostBSD-23.06.01.iso of=USB Drive bs=8M
Minimum System Requirements
- 64-bit processor
- 4GB+ of RAM
- 15 GB of free hard drive space
- Network card
Note: GhostBSD can't successfully install in a system with less than 4G of ram because once GhostBSD is booted, it runs from the ram and not from the USB flash drive or DVD.
Updating GhostBSD with pkg notice
Upgrading packages with pkg has to be done in a specific way, specifically with OS Upgrade.
To determine how to upgrade packages with pkg, you must determine if there is a kernel change with pkg update -f.
> sudo pkg update -f Updating GhostBSD repository catalogue... pkg: Repository GhostBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database Fetching meta.conf: 100% 163 B 0.2kB/s 00:01 Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100% 7 MiB 6.9MB/s 00:01 Processing entries: 0% Newer FreeBSD version for package ztrack: To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes - package: 1302505 - running kernel: 1301510 Ignore the mismatch and continue? [y/N]:
If you encounter a similar message to the above, you need to upgrade all installed packages using sudo pkg upgrade -f or some problem could occur after rebooting. If pkg update -f doesn't report kernel mismatch, sudo pkg upgrade can be used to upgrade packages.