I am pleased to announce the release of GhostBSD 23.10.1!
First, I want to thank everyone who helped improve GhostBSD for this release. From reporting bugs, submitting translations, contributing to fixing issues and developing new features, offering community support, actively testing, and helping with documentation. Thank you!
This version might look odd from previous releases, but it is correct. After more thought into it, the base OS is not updated as much as the software packages. So, I decided to change the release version back to a static one instead of changing it on each software package update. Software packages will be updated as often as possible, like before, and if there are significant issues, changes, or security issues before 24.01.1, a 23.10.2 release will be created. See the roadmap for future releases.
In this release, the FreeBSD base system and kernel have been updated to 1302508, and it contains software updates, some improvements to Update Station, and new features to NetworkMgr. Also, os-generic-userland-devtools has been removed from the default installation to downsize the live system image.
New Features and Improvements
- ghostbsd/networkmgr#28 [Feature] Add ability to manually set Static IP address
- ghostbsd/networkmgr#29 [Feature] Add ability to manually set DNS Server information
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#215 [Feature] Adding packages description window to Software Station
- ghostbsd/issues#5 Add graphics/qgis-ltr and graphics/qgis to GhostBSD binary packages for installation to GhostBSD. It already exists in FreeBSD
- ghostbsd/software-station#32 Feature #215 - Add package description
- ghostbsd/issues#8 Add progress for update-station the check-now option
- ghostbsd/networkmgr#90 Simplify bool usages
- ghostbsd/networkmgr#92 Refactor with DRY principles
- ghostbsd/networkmgr#93 Apply some cleanups
- ghostbsd/networkmgr#94 Refactor src/setup-nic.py using pathlib
- ghostbsd/networkmgr#96 Fix errors
- ghostbsd/backup-station#13 Update translation
- ghostbsd/networkmgr#97 Adding initial work for DNS and static IP configuration
- ghostbsd/backup-station#15 bump version to 0.4 for new release
- ghostbsd/issues#18 Change GhostBSD version to be static like 23.10.1
- ghostbsd/issues#19 Update system to latest stable/13.0 for 23.10.1
- ghostbsd/update-station#36 Adding progress when looking for updates using check-update
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-build#181 Removing os-generic-userland-devtools from default installation
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-build#182 Removed code to get version file since it is hard coded in base now
- ghostbsd/networkmgr#89 src: auto-switch: use `kenv -q` instead of `kenv`
- ghostbsd/backup-station#11 update the version to match the next release
- ghostbsd/backup-station#12 correct how be_name is selected
- ghostbsd/issues#9 chromium browser issues
- ghostbsd/issues#10 ghostbsd-update-scripts fails because version ports version is not static
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#295 build(deps): bump flask from 1.1.1 to 2.2.5 in /contrib/libcbor/doc/source
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#297 build(deps): bump pygments from 2.7.4 to 2.15.0 in /contrib/libcbor/doc/source
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#298 build(deps): bump certifi from 2022.12.7 to 2023.7.22 in /contrib/libcbor/doc/source
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#299 [Security] Array index error in sys/dev/iir/iir.c
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#300 build(deps): bump tornado from 6.3.2 to 6.3.3 in /contrib/libcbor/doc/source
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#301 [Security] tcpdump used in this project is vulnerable
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#302 [Security] ldns used in this project is vulnerable
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#303 build(deps): bump certifi from 2022.12.7 to 2023.7.22 in /contrib/libcbor/doc/source
- ghostbsd/ghostbsd-src#308 build(deps): bump urllib3 from 1.26.9 to 1.26.17 in /contrib/libcbor/doc/source
Note: For compiling ports or code, install os-generic-userland-devtools.
Where to download:
All images, checksums, hybrid ISO(DVD, USB), and torrents are available here:
Note: When installing on VirtualBox, change the Graphics Controller to VBoxSVGA.
Writing the ISO to a USB stick
dd if=Downloads/GhostBSD-23.10.1.iso of=/dev/da0 bs=4m
dd if=Downloads/GhostBSD-23.10.1.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M
dd if=Downloads/GhostBSD-23.10.1.iso of=/dev/disk2 bs=10240
On Windows, using http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
./dd.exe if=Downloads/GhostBSD-23.10.1.iso of=USB Drive bs=8M
How to upgrade GhostBSD with pkg
Upgrading packages with pkg has to be done in a specific way, specifically with OS package upgrades.
To determine how to upgrade packages with pkg, you must determine if there is a kernel change with pkg update -f.
> sudo pkg update -f Updating GhostBSD repository catalogue... pkg: Repository GhostBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database Fetching meta.conf: 100% 163 B 0.2kB/s 00:01 Fetching packagesite.pkg: 100% 7 MiB 6.9MB/s 00:01 Processing entries: 0% Newer FreeBSD version for package ztrack: To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes - package: 1302505 - running kernel: 1301510 Ignore the mismatch and continue? [y/N]:
If you encounter a similar message to the above, you must upgrade all installed packages using sudo pkg upgrade -f, or some problem could occur after rebooting. If pkg update -f doesn't report kernel mismatch, sudo pkg upgrade can be used to upgrade packages.